Malignant bone and soft tissue tumors
- Mesenchymal: bone and cartilage: Enchondroma, Osteochondroma, Chondroblastoma, Osteosarcoma
- Round Cell: marrow infiltrative: Ewings sarcoma, Lymphoma, Langerhans cell histiocytosis
Plain Film Findings of Malignant Lesions
- Cortical Destruction - can be misleading as includes NOF, ABC, infection, EG.
- Perostitis - thick, dense and wavy are less agressive than lamelated (onion skinned) or sunbrust.
- Axis - vey poor determinator of benignity
- Zone of Transition - most reliable, narrow is good, wide and permeative are bad
Bone Tumors by Age
- <15 - Langerhans cell histiocytosis
- < 30 - Ewings sarcoma, Osteosarcoma, NOF, Solitary bone cyst, ABC, Fibrous dysplasia, Chondroblastoma
- 30-40 - Giant cell tumor, Parosteal sarcoma, Fibrosarcoma, Malignant fibrous histiocytoma, Lymphoma, Chondrosarcoma
- > 40 - Osseous metastasis, Myeloma
Lesion in the Posterior Elements of Spine - GO APE
Soft-Tissue Tumors and Tumorlike Lesions: A Systematic Imaging Approach